I am a postdoctoral researcher in the Computer Science department at KU Leuven. I work with prof. Bart De Decker in the SecAnon task force, part of the IBBT-DistriNet research group. Currently, I am mainly involved in the MobCom project.
I completed my PhD in Computer Science and MS in Information Security at the Georgia Institute of Technology. My doctoral dissertation focus on the design and evaluation of secure and efficient authentication protocols for large-scale Internet applications. I also have a degree in Electronic and Communication Engineering from Universidad de Panama, Panama and more than five years of professional experience in the information security area.
My research interests include network security, authentication protocols, identity management, mobile security, privacy enhancing technologies, web security and applied cryptography.
- Faysal Boukayoua, Italo Dacosta, Bart De Decker, Jorn Lapon, Luc Martens, Milica Milutinovic, Vincent Naessens, Bart Preneel, Andreas Put, Stefaan Seys, Dave Singelee, Kris Vanhecke, Jan Vossaert, MobCom Deliverable: D.3.1 Development of Architecture; D.4.1 Applications I; D.5.1 Validation Requirements, Technical Report, 2012
- Italo Dacosta, Mustaque Ahamad and Patrick Traynor, Trust No One Else: Detecting MITM Attacks Against SSL/TLS Without Third-Parties, Proceedings of the European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS), September 2012. (Acceptance rate: 20.2%)
- Italo Dacosta, Saurabh Chakradeo, Patrick Traynor and Mustaque Ahamad One-Time Cookies: Preventing Session Hijacking Attacks with Disposable Credentials, ACM Transactions on Internet Technology (TOIT), Volume 12 Issue 1, June 2012.
- Nilesh Nipane, Italo Dacosta and Patrick Traynor, "Mix-In-Place" Anonymous Networking Using Secure Function Evaluation, Proceedings of the Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC), December 2011. (Acceptance rate: 18.5%).
- Italo Dacosta, Vijay Balasubramaniyan, Mustaque Ahamad and Patrick Traynor, Improving Authentication Performance of Distributed SIP Proxies, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS), vol.22, no.11, pp.1804-1812, Nov. 2011.
- Italo Dacosta and Patrick Traynor, Proxychain: Developing a Robust and Efficient Authentication Infrastructure for Carrier-Scale VoIP Networks , Proceedings of the USENIX Annual Technical Conference (ATC), June 2010. (Acceptance rate: 17.0%)